Bow Valley Weddings Logo
Bow Valley Weddings Legalities Title Image

Prior to being married in Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta Marriage Licence from an Alberta Registry Agent. Fees vary amongst Registry Agents. This Licence is valid for 90 days from the date of issue. A list of all Registry Agents can be found at

Certain policy/requirements must be met in order to obtain a Alberta Marriage Licence. These policies/requirements are outlined at

If your wedding is to take place within the Bow Valley, you may decide to purchase your Licence at The Banff Registry and begin the process on line at

The Registry office will prepare a marriage Licence and a Registration of Marriage. Both are presented to the Marriage Commissioner prior to the wedding.

Within the civil ceremony there are two mandatory phrases which must be stated. Other aspects of the civil ceremony can be customized to meet your desires and wishes.

At the wedding, the Registration of Marriage is signed by the bride and groom, two witnesses (18 years or over) and the Marriage Commissioner. The Marriage Commissioner will complete the Registration of Marriage and mail it to Vital Statistic office. A Marriage Statement will be prepared by the Marriage Commissioner and presented to you at the end of the ceremony. You are responsible for applying and obtaining a permanent Marriage Certificate, which is the legal proof of the marriage. This application can be made at any Registry office.

"Your sincerity and genuine care really added to our ceremony and touched us and our guests."

Darryl and Krystle

photo compliments of Eric Daigle

photo compliments of Mountain Light Studio

"Your thoughtfulness and kind words through the initial stages were very much appreciated."

Jay and Amber